The Duda's adoption story and life as a family of five.
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Some news....
Well just after our last post we found out who our judge is...I wonder what kind of questions she might ask? Any one who can share what your judge asked we would love to hear from you via email......
Our judge wanted to know that we understood our children's medicals. I thought I might have to explain their conditions, but really we ended up just saying that we had discussed their conditions with our doctor and understood them and would seek medical help when we got home (but I still would research any medical issues and know what signs they have shown to date, treatment given and how you will deal with it in the future). She asked how we would encourage their Russian culture at home and asked us to say a few words in Russian, by a few words I mean we said about five really basic words. We told her about a local Russian group for adoptive families in our area. And I tink we said something about or children would always know they were Russian and we would take any opportunity we had to teach them about their rich culture. We also mentioned how we love to travel and some trips back to Russia in the future were a must. She was really happy that we new a little about their personalities and that the social worker had said the same sorts of things about the children. Just listen to what the social worker tells you about the children because ours said the same sorts of things in court. I thought I would have to say the children's full names so I'd practised a lot, but when court started the judge said their names in her opening statement and never actually asked us! She asked about whether I was going back to work and where the children would go if I did. I said that I'd spent the last ten years working and couldn't wait to stop (she actually cracked a small smile). She asked about what we would do if they were naughty. She knew that the country we were from had had recent child abuse cases in the news and asked us a little about this. She asked us whether we were 'middle class'. It's worth sitting with your chair a little out from the table so that when you stand to speak each time your chair doesn't drag on the floor, someone told us our judge did not like this noise! The whole thing took about 90 minutes, but a lot of that was taken up with translating and the judge gazing out the window thinking up her next question. At one point she said we looked Slavic and then discussed this with the others in the room! Our court was not hard at all, but when there is so much to gain it's worth being well prepared! Good Luck
I forgot to mention that the first question the judge asked me was 'Which child do you like the best?' I didn't see the question coming! (We were adopting siblings from Vladivostok). I answered that I like them both the same but for different reasons and went on to talk about what I liked about each child. The judge seemed to like that...phew!
Hi there...All of our judges (we have 6 children IA and one on the way) wanted to know about our financial statis and how we deal with having a large family;-). We were also asked about our beliefs in regard to discipline. Since I home school, education was discussed, and the last judge seemed pleased by this. I think she was happy that I am a stay-at-home mom. I will be happy to send an invite to you for our adoption blog as it is private for now. Send a request to abcdevctr@yahoo.com and I will get you an invite. We expect to be in court by October. Best wishes and many blessings...Trisha (mom2b4#10)
4 comments:
Our judge wanted to know that we understood our children's medicals. I thought I might have to explain their conditions, but really we ended up just saying that we had discussed their conditions with our doctor and understood them and would seek medical help when we got home (but I still would research any medical issues and know what signs they have shown to date, treatment given and how you will deal with it in the future).
She asked how we would encourage their Russian culture at home and asked us to say a few words in Russian, by a few words I mean we said about five really basic words. We told her about a local Russian group for adoptive families in our area. And I tink we said something about or children would always know they were Russian and we would take any opportunity we had to teach them about their rich culture. We also mentioned how we love to travel and some trips back to Russia in the future were a must.
She was really happy that we new a little about their personalities and that the social worker had said the same sorts of things about the children. Just listen to what the social worker tells you about the children because ours said the same sorts of things in court.
I thought I would have to say the children's full names so I'd practised a lot, but when court started the judge said their names in her opening statement and never actually asked us!
She asked about whether I was going back to work and where the children would go if I did. I said that I'd spent the last ten years working and couldn't wait to stop (she actually cracked a small smile).
She asked about what we would do if they were naughty. She knew that the country we were from had had recent child abuse cases in the news and asked us a little about this.
She asked us whether we were 'middle class'.
It's worth sitting with your chair a little out from the table so that when you stand to speak each time your chair doesn't drag on the floor, someone told us our judge did not like this noise!
The whole thing took about 90 minutes, but a lot of that was taken up with translating and the judge gazing out the window thinking up her next question. At one point she said we looked Slavic and then discussed this with the others in the room!
Our court was not hard at all, but when there is so much to gain it's worth being well prepared!
Good Luck
Hey guys! If you take a look at the April posting on our blog called the Ups and Downs of Court or something like that we have our questions posted.
I forgot to mention that the first question the judge asked me was 'Which child do you like the best?' I didn't see the question coming! (We were adopting siblings from Vladivostok). I answered that I like them both the same but for different reasons and went on to talk about what I liked about each child. The judge seemed to like that...phew!
Hi there...All of our judges (we have 6 children IA and one on the way) wanted to know about our financial statis and how we deal with having a large family;-). We were also asked about our beliefs in regard to discipline. Since I home school, education was discussed, and the last judge seemed pleased by this. I think she was happy that I am a stay-at-home mom. I will be happy to send an invite to you for our adoption blog as it is private for now. Send a request to abcdevctr@yahoo.com and I will get you an invite. We expect to be in court by October. Best wishes and many blessings...Trisha (mom2b4#10)
Post a Comment