Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Recent Stuff.............




Last Friday night, we took the kids to the Monster Truck Jam. They had a blast. Kristina rooted for the "dog" truck. John rooted for Grave Digger (because he got a hat of Grave Digger when he got his cotton candy). Keegan rooted for Nitro Circus. Kenny and I didn't really root for anyone in particular just wanted the kids to have fun. We heard things like....."that was cool" "did you see that?" "Wow - look at that" and so many more. It is fair to say they had fun! And cotton candy is good stuff.

http://www.moscowcircus.biz/

We have tickets to attend the Moscow Circus this weekend, but we had a very good friend that passed away and we have to attend the funeral on Saturday, but we are hoping we can still make it to the circus. If we do, we will post pictures next week.







Today we had pre-school screening done on John. Where to begin? I guess there are just people that will never get it. The two ladies in charge were very excited to see him and knew that he was adopted from Russia and has only been in the states since October 28th. But I guess they forgot to tell all the women doing the testing. The first two tests, cutting with scissors and matching went very very well. This is where it all goes downhill. The next lady was showing John pictures and wanted him to say the words. They called me in to the room to see if I could help her out. The first picture she showed John was of a bed. She of course wanted him to say "bed", well John didn't. Instead he said "sleep". The next picture was a teacup and she wanted him to say "cup", instead he said drink. She got frustrated with him and looked at me and said so he doesn't speak English? He's Russian? So he doesn't understand the directions I told him? I told her yes he speaks some English. Yes he is Russian. And yes I believe he understood your directions, he just doesn't know the word for those pictures but knows what to do with them. In the meantime, John was touching the cards that she was using to quiz him and she raised her voice and said you can turn the card after you say "cup". John went into defensive mode. Shoulders up, head down and completely turned away from her. I looked at her and said "you lost him". The lady in charge came over and said maybe we can try again in a little bit. I told her it was useless now, since she raised her voice at him, he was not going to have anything to do with her again. So I took him out in the hall and got ready to leave. The other lady in charge came out and tried to apologize and say "she came in late and did not realize he had been adopted from Russia". I told her what difference did that make, she should not be talking that way to any child. She then gave me her card and told me that John was eligible for services due to being adopted from Russia and that he could attend the pre-school for 2 1/2 hours every day Monday thru Friday. She wants Kenny and I to bring John there to check it out. I asked her if the lady doing the testing was one of the teachers and she told me "no". I told her we would come check it out because we want only what is best for our children and if extra services were available then we would check it out. But after leaving, I realized that there are some people that will just never get it, but that's why we have to be our children's biggest advocates and fight for them. Don't worry guys..................mom and dad will always be on your side and fight for you no matter what!

5 comments:

Heather said...

You are right. Some people just don't get it! You should celebrate that he knows sleep is associated with the bed and cups are what we drink out of! And I bet they just loved the monster trucks!

Bill and Michelle Curran said...

Great post Gloria! You hit the nail on the head, some people will just not get it. Maybe you can get the Grave Digger to take a run over her car!

Neva Cole said...

So true, there are people who came up short on the empathy scale, that should not be working with children at all! Peter's eval was done with his recent adoption in mind, and he didn't qualify, which we are fine with . . . we will continue with what we are doing. It is so annoying when adults don't do their jobs with the right attitude, especially when they are dealing with children.

Michele said...

Wow that woman sounds unbelievably insensitive!

Your children seem to be doing so well. I'm adopting 2 children approx the same age and can only hope their transition is nearly as successful.

Laura said...

Gloria: I just don't understand some people and regardless of where John is from, he didn't deserve to be treated that way. Lucky he has you! And hey -- he's only been here since October -- he got sleep and drink -- I don't think I'd be able to say "bed" and "cup" in Russian necessarily!

Keep up the good work, John...maybe you'll be that ladies boss some day. ;)

~Laura