Monday, May 24, 2010

I'm Not Vanya, I'm John....

Well as many of you know John's birth name was Ivan, in Russia he was called "Vanya" which is another form of Ivan. Gloria and I decided to Americanize his name and in doing so changed it to the English form of Ivan which is John. We have spent a few months transitioning him to his new name and have been calling him John exclusively for the last 6 or 8 weeks or so. Yesterday in the car I was trying to get his attention and he was ignoring me. I finally said "Vanya!"...well this got his attention alright, he shot right back with "I'M NOT VANYA, I'M JOHN!" Mission accomplished with the name transition.
We had a great day yesterday at some friends of ours who live a few miles away and have a heated pool (ours is not open yet). This came just in the nick of time as our Central Air conditioner died late Saturday night and it was in the upper 80's here yesterday. The kids spent all afternoon in the pool.
Keegan's birthday party is this coming Sunday...he'll be 16 on this Thursday...Look out Illinois drivers! We will be continuing our breakfast tradition, taking him out on his birthday to his favorite breakfast place, The Country Charm...

5 comments:

Heather said...

Wow thanks for the warning that Keegan will be getting his license. We'll be sure to keep an eye out for him :o) lol

Love that John clarified his name for you too!

Bill and Michelle Curran said...

That is a geat story about his name. It's so funny how the little milestones come at the times when you least expect them.

Amy said...

LOVE it!! Way to go John!

Love the pictures -- what a look back!

Neva Cole said...

What fun! We transitioned Peter directly to the English pronunciation and he didn't mind at all. Took Sergey a little longer to say Peter in English.

Good luck with your new driver/chauffeur!

Laura said...

Ah, ha! Sounds like John suffers from the same "selective comprehension" problem as our Kristina! You now know the emergency button to push...

Happy early b-day to Keegan. Enjoy!

~Laura